Egg nutritions: When can babies eat eggs ?
Eggs can be a nice first food option for your baby. When your baby is around half a year old, you can easily add eggs to your baby’s diet. Eggs will provide your baby with many beneficial health impacts. Today, the post is basically on the importance of feeding eggs to your baby. Moreover, you will get concerned that when can babies eat eggs or when can babies have eggs. Along with the benefits, several other issues will also be included. Besides these, I will provide you some delicious egg recipes for your baby and I think it will be delightful to your baby. So, please move on through the post.
Eggs are a suitable and a nice source of protein and fat. Moreover, eggs contain several other nutrients such as biotin and iron where both of the nutrients have functions in facilitating growth as well as maintaining a sound body functioning. Since, the growth of your baby is much important, eggs can do contribute in your baby’s proper growth. Eggs are also single-component foods and they are easy to prepare and serve. However, you can give your baby a whole egg rather giving just an egg yolk or the white portion, because your baby needs both of them.
When can babies eat eggs?
You might ask a question that, when can baby have eggs? I will say, you can give your baby eggs when he/she is around 6 months old.
However, some parents got confused and think that when can I give my baby eggs? Or what age can babies eat eggs? Moreover, they might even ask for can babies have eggs?
So, the pediatricians usually recommend eggs in your baby’s diet after 6 months of baby’s birth.
When can baby eat scrambled eggs?
Scrambled egg is a recipe which is made by mixing both the egg white and yolk together. Then the mixture undergoes gentle heating. You can add some butter or salt to make it more delicious to your baby. Scrambled eggs can be a nice finger food for your baby when he/she is around 8 months old.
Nutrition of eggs
I have already said that, eggs are a good source of essential nutrients. The nutrients include fatty acids, iron, zinc, calcium, riboflavin (vitamin B2), folic acid, vitamin B12 and vitamin E. Moreover, a single egg contains only 75 calories. Besides these eggs contain high quality protein and the protein of eggs has been ranked right after mother’s breast milk.
The Benefits of giving eggs to your baby
- Strong bones: The vitamins of eggs make your baby’s bone stronger along with proper growth.
- Brain development: Egg yolk contains cholesterol, which is very important for your baby’s brain development.
- Eggs digest easily: It is important to give your baby foods which can be easily digested, because it takes time to develop the baby’s digestive system
How to choose eggs for your baby?
It is also important to choose the best egg for your baby. Since eggs of hens are mostly consumed, eggs of organic hens should be chosen. In some poultry farms, hens are fed with unhealthy food. Moreover, their foods may contain several types of chemical which may create health problems to the hens as well as their eggs can also contain those harmful chemicals. Therefore, you need to be concerned about that.
Things to remember when giving eggs to your baby
Before introducing eggs to your baby you need to be concerned about several factors. The most important factor is you have to identify that whether your baby is allergic to eggs or not. If your baby is allergic to eggs, you have to follow some manipulations.
Test if your baby is allergic to eggs
To identify whether your baby has an allergy to eggs, first you give your baby just a little amount of eggs and try to observe any unusual symptoms. On the other hand, while testing egg allergy, try to avoid giving cow’s milk, peanut butter and fish to your baby, because these foods are allergy causing foods and you will get confused with that what actually make an allergic reaction to your baby.
However, if your baby is allergic to eggs, you can see some distinct symptoms on your baby. The symptoms include:
- Rashes on skin
- Bumping or swelling
- Itching of eyes
- A sore throat
- Itching in the nose
Some other facts
Please do not give your baby raw eggs or half-boiled eggs, because there is a risk of salmonella poisoning if you introduce raw eggs. Moreover, half-boiled eggs may also contain salmonella, because eggs should be boiled for a certain period of time to prevent salmonella mediated food poisoning. Therefore, you should give proper boiled eggs to your baby. Besides these, you should also avoid foods that are made with raw eggs such as homemade mayonnaise or uncooked cake batter or any other dessert with raw eggs.
Store the eggs properly
- Store eggs in the refrigerator: You should not keep eggs at room temperature, because food poison causing salmonella gets an accelerated multiplication at room temperature. Therefore, you should keep eggs in your refrigerator.
- Do not store eggs in the door of your refrigerator: If you observe carefully, you will find that, the temperature of the door of the refrigerator is less cool than the middle. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, eggs should be stored in the coldest area of the refrigerator where the temperature should be around 40º Fahrenheit or even cooler. So, avoid storing eggs on the door, rather you should keep them in the middle where the temperature is much lower.
Egg recipes for your baby
There are several delicious recipes with eggs which you can offer to your baby. Sometimes, your baby may not like to eat eggs. Therefore, from these recipes, you need to find the recipe which your baby like most and offer this recipe to your baby. Now I will show you some egg recipes and you can try it in your home.
- Poached eggs: Take some water (egg should be submerged in water) and boil it. Then break the eggs and drop it to the boiled water. Wait for a few minutes until it is cooked on both sides (flip it after one side is completely cooked). Now poached egg for your baby is ready.
- Hard-boiled eggs: To make hard-boiled eggs, you need to cook eggs for around 25-30 minutes in boiled water.
- Microwaved eggs: Mix eggs with a small amount of milk, milk formula or water and allow the mixture to be microwaved for around 2 minutes. Before giving it to the microwave, cover it up with a plastic, but leave a little space for the ventilation of steam.
- Scrambled eggs with oatmeal: whisk two egg yolks and then cook some oatmeal and some soft fruits or vegetables with olive oil in a pan for a while. Then add the whisked yolks and scramble it. This recipe can be a delicious finger food for your baby.
- Eggs with vegetables and rice: It is also a very easy recipe. To do this, you just scramble an egg and add some cooked rice and vegetable. Then cook it with olive oil for a while.
- Scrambled egg yolk: Separate the egg yolk from the white portion. After that, heat butter or olive oil in pan and add the egg yolk. You have to scramble it constantly until it is well-cooked.
Finally, I wish to say that, egg is a nice source of nutrition required for your baby. You should give eggs to your baby regularly to maintain a good health as well as for developing body’s functioning systems. I believe the article will be helpful for you.